Career OpportunitiesUnited Tribes Technical College
Reports Directly To:
Summary of Duties:
- Assist the Academic & Personal Counselor Coordinator in short and long term planning, in support of the Lewis Goodhouse Wellness Center and UTTC’s Strategic Plan.
- Remain current and adhere to legal requirements that affect students in higher education, i.e. FERPA, HIPAA, ADA, and/or all governing guidelines related to UTTC community.
- Prepare and submit accurate reports, documentation and correspondence in a timely manner.
- To actively participate in the “High Risk” Crisis Management Team that provides holistic services in meeting the individual need(s) of the student and in support of their family system.
- Supportive academic, personal, social, behavioral counseling for the individual UTTC student and/or their dependents. Counseling to include: parent-child relationships, home management, and family dynamics.
- Securing information in regards to student(s): physical, psychological and social nature for the purpose of needs assessment and making appropriate referrals.
- To cooperatively networking with city, county, state and federal agencies in order to make appropriate referrals to those agencies on/off campus
- Coordinate with other campus departments when child abuse, child neglect and/or spouse abuse is evident. Initiate counseling intervention referrals on as needed basis.
- Assist in supporting UTTC policies and procedures to include programs relating to: housing, student organizations, student activities, safety and security, discipline and all areas involving student concerns.
- Serve and participate on assigned Academic and/or Student & Campus Services committees.
- Participates in weekly scheduled meeting with assigned Academic Advisor(s) and/or faculty regarding students concerns on a need to know basis such as early alerts.
- Maintain open communication with various departments on a need to know basis to include but not limited to: Center for Academic & Personal Counseling, Assigned Academic Advisors/Instructors, Financial Aid, Housing, Residential Life, Security, Lewis Goodhouse Wellness Center departments and Administration.
- Maintains daily/weekly/monthly contact statistics. Secures and maintains accurate record keeping system, work with time/attendance and reports on student progress, as well as Participates in UTTC Student Withdrawal Process to include: reporting, record keeping and processing documentation as specified in a timely manner.
- Attends professional development training(s)
- Prepare letters of reference upon request by student(s).
- Coordinate and organize group therapy sessions for UTTC Community Wellness Center Programs.
- Completes all necessary data entry into Electronic Health records system.
- Assist Domestic Violence Advocate with supportive service to students
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Counseling and general office environment. Normal working hours are Monday through Friday from 8:00 am until 5:00 pm with one hour for lunch. Will need to work additional hours as the need arises. Will need to occasionally travel to attend workshops and/or conferences.
- A bachelor’s degree in Social Work or Counseling.
- Required licensure in the state of North Dakota at LSW or LAPC level.
- Working knowledge of Micro Soft Word and compatible software. Operate basic office equipment; copier, fax machine, digital phone system.
- Preferred Masters in Social Work or in Counseling.
- Previous experience within a Post-Secondary setting preferred.
Knowledge & Skills:
- Familiarity and practical application of counseling techniques and methods. Ability to organize and co-facilitate supportive counseling groups. Conduct individual/personal counseling sessions.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality.
- Effective communication skills, sensitivity to Native American culture and disadvantaged students.
- Ability to relate to diverse age groups.
- Ability to communicate with faculty and staff about student characteristics, needs and specialized areas of interest.
- Working knowledge of local support services and referral agencies.
- A demonstrated ability in support of prevention, mediation and advocacy of student concerns.
- Familiarity with substance abuse issues, the family system, career guidance and general counseling issues to include but not limited to: self-esteem, social skills, assertiveness, depression and suicide.
United Tribes Technical College is an Equal Employment Opportunity. The applicant is responsible for providing proof of enrollment in a federally recognized tribe if Indian preference is claimed. The applicant is responsible for providing a copy of his/her United States Government Form DD214 or his/her honorable discharge certificate from any branch of the military service if veteran’s preference is claimed. Failure to provide proof will result in loss of Indian or veteran preference in employment.
APPLICATION DEADLINE: September 20, 2018 at 5:00 p.m. Interested applicants should submit a completed UTTC application, cover letter, resume, and unofficial copies of transcripts to email@example.com or Human Resources Department, United Tribes Technical College, 3315 University Drive, Bismarck, ND 58504. NOTE: Applications and supporting documents received after the closing date and time of a job posting will NOT be considered. Upon selection, the applicant is responsible to obtain and complete a Transcript Request Form from the last institution attended. The applicant will submit the completed form to the Human Resources Department. The Human Resources Department will cover any fees required to obtain official transcripts.