History of United Tribes And Fort Lincoln
Historic buildings at UTTC
Fort Lincoln was built to house and train troops. Many of the buildings are over 100 years old. The fort consisted of a central parade ground surrounded by living quarters and support buildings. Funding from Congress made possible the construction of many facilities on the site, including officer’s quarters, barracks buildings, guard house, bakery, mess hall, powder magazine, administration buildings, a hospital and hospital steward’s quarters, and swimming pool.
The post was used to assemble U.S. soldiers in the early 1900s; it housed a citizen soldiers program, and then became a Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) headquarters. During World War II, the buildings served as a training center and internment camp. The portion inside the confined area included the large brick barracks buildings and several smaller brick buildings, along with wood-frame barracks buildings. Guard towers stood along the fences. A guard station was placed at the front entrance, with its familiar stone columns and iron archway.
United Tribes maintains the same building numbering system established when the post was constructed. Building 39 is notable as a good example of an early military hospital. It was completed in May 1903 as a 10 bed facility, made from local red clays pressed into bricks. Later additions in wooden framing expanded its capacity. Its distinctive architecture is one and one-half stories high and has a “U” shaped floor plan. The basic structure is largely unchanged and a good example of early military architecture. It is also significant for its role at Fort Lincoln. It functioned as a hospital for over 50 years, providing care throughout its history.
Building 38 is the hospital steward’s residence, located adjacent to the hospital. It was also built during a wave of construction at Fort Lincoln during the 1902-03 construction seasons. A hospital steward was a non-commissioned officer. Regulations required there be one steward per regiment. The steward oversaw the general administration of the hospital, including general maintenance, staff supervision and medical care for soldiers. The steward’s residence is a two-story brick structure set on a stone foundation. It represents military architecture of the late 1800s to early 1900s, adapted for local conditions and made from local materials.
|Click on an image below to view larger picture.|