Human & Social ServicesUnited Tribes Technical College
The Human & Social Services AAS degree provides the generalist education for employment in a wide variety of social service agencies. This degree is designed as a transfer degree for graduates who wish to continue their education by completing a baccalaureate degree in Social Work or a related field.
Human services degrees are for students who want to help others in their day-to-day work. Because its ultimate goal is to meet human needs, whatever they may be, the human services field is ideal for someone who wants their work to truly affect social change within communities.
Associate of Applied Science
Graduates of the Human & Social Services AAS degree program will be able to:
- Describe the nature of human systems.
- Apply theoretical psychological frameworks to client situations.
- Apply interventions that match the human services profession.
- Interact with clients and coworkers with cultural mindfulness.
- Implement a professional code of ethics.
- Case management aide: This job allows you to work with low-income, disabled and elderly clients by providing administrative assistance to a case manager. This is an ideal job for organized people who have strong communication skills and understand the value of advocacy for underserved individuals.
- Social work assistant: A career as a social work assistant is another option for someone with an associate degree in human services. This position would likely be a great fit for candidates with strong interpersonal skills who are patient, sympathetic and can be flexible in their job.
- Community outreach worker: Community outreach workers coordinate educational, training, youth and health services for the communities in which they work. If you are a social person who has a strong desire to directly improve the community in which you live, working as a community outreach worker could be a great fit for you.
- Substance abuse counselor technicians: Substance abuse counselor technicians provide services in both the treatment and prevention of alcohol and drug addiction. If you have compassion and a strong desire to help those who are in crisis and likely underserved, this job could be a great fit for you.
Core Courses (18 Credits)
- HSS 255 3cr. Social Work in Modern Society
- HSS 256 3cr. Development of Social Welfare
- HSS 260 3cr. Alcohol & Drug Use in American Society
- HSS 272 3cr. Theory & Practice of Counseling & Psychotherapy
- HSS 290 3cr. Culture & Mental Health
- HSS 298 3cr. Human & Social Services Fieldwork
|ENG 110||Composition I||3|
|PSY 111||Introduction to Psychology||3|
|HSS 260||Alcohol & Drug Use in American Society||3|
|HSS 272||Theory & Practice of Counseling & Psychotherapy||3|
|HSS 298||Human & Social Services Fieldwork||3|
|PSY 252||Psychology of Child Development||3|
|PSY 270||Abnormal Psychology||3|
|ENG 120||Composition II||3|
|HSS 255||Social Work in Modern Society||3|
|HSS 256||Development of Social Welfare||3|
|HSS 290||Culture & Mental Health||3|
|HSS 297||Human & Social Services Internship||3|
|PSY 251||Developmental Psychology||3|