Position Title: English Instructor
Department: Academic Affairs
Reports Directly to: General Education Chair
Status: Exempt; Full-time
Summary of Duties:
• Instructs students based upon the master course schedule, degree plans, and curricula approved by the Curriculum Committee and the Vice President of Academic Affairs for the respective program.
• Teach a minimum of thirty (30) credits per academic year (fall/spring).
• Designs, develops, and provides instruction to students through various delivery methods, including classroom/laboratory instruction, online learning, and learning community activities.
• Adheres to the course cancellation policy as stated in the UTTC Faculty Handbook.
• Develops culturally responsive curricula, lesson plans and other postsecondary coursework materials that identify student competencies and meet industry employment standards.
• Updates and uploads course syllabi on a semester basis to WIDS.
• Monitors and reports student attendance and academic progress in the Jenzabar system on a weekly basis throughout the semester, as well as using Early Alert interventions that ensure student success.
• Engages in departmental assessment efforts and measures at the course, program, and institutional learning outcome levels for the purpose of increasing student learning.
• Schedules and posts a minimum of ten (10) office hours on campus per week at times convenient to students on a minimum of four days each week.
• Serves as either academic advisor or professional tutor during scheduled office hours, depending on department role.
• Shares student club advising responsibilities that may include evening and weekend hours.
• Participates in career fairs, retention activities, new student orientation and other student activities.
• Participates on campus in college-sponsored professional development activities and department, division, and faculty meetings.
• Complies with college policies, plans, and procedures, including wearing academic cap and gown at commencement activities.
• Performs all other related work delegated or required to accomplish the objectives of the college.
• All faculty are required to be on campus to meet their professional obligations as stated in the Summary of Duties identified on this job description, in addition to scheduled college activities during normal hours of operation.
• Each faculty member shall submit their schedule to their direct supervisor at the start of each semester showing posted office hours, class schedule, committee meetings, faculty meetings, student club meetings and typical availability.
• Ability to report to work on a regular and punctual basis.
• Move about inside an office and classroom
• Operate a computer and other office/classroom equipment
• Occasionally move, transport, or position up to 20 pounds
• May need to ascend/descend stairs
• Master’s degree in English or a master’s degree with a minimum of 18 graduate credit hours in English from a regionally accredited college or university required.
• Two (2) years successful college instruction in the field of English required.
• Experience designing, developing, and facilitating online higher education courses.
Knowledge & Skills:
• Must have an overall understanding of their academic discipline.
• Proficiency in Microsoft Suite.
• Ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing.
• Perform all other related work delegated or required to accomplish the objectives of the college.
• Knowledge of American Indian Tribes, cultures, and histories desirable.
• UTTC Application
• Letter of Interest (Current UTTC Employees)
• Cover Letter
• Unofficial Copies of Transcripts
• ND Driver’s License
Opening Date: June 23, 2022
Closing Date: July 7, 2022
United Tribes Technical College is an Equal Employment Opportunity. The applicant is responsible for providing proof of enrollment in a federally recognized tribe if Indian preference is claimed. The applicant is responsible for providing a copy of his/her United States Government Form DD214 or his/her honorable discharge certificate from any branch of the military service if veteran’s preference is claimed. Failure to provide proof will result in loss of Indian or veteran preference in employment.
Interested applicants should submit a completed UTTC application, cover letter, resume, unofficial copies of transcripts, and copy of ND Drivers License to email@example.com or Human Resources Department, United Tribes Technical College, 3315 University Drive, Bismarck, ND 58504. NOTE: Applications and supporting documents received after the closing date and time of a job posting will NOT be considered.