Automotive TechnologyAcademic Affairs
Automotive technicians face a challenging future in the automotive field due to the increased complexity of the electronically controlled components. Government sources say the United States will need 32,000 new technicians every year just to keep up with the demand. The qualified automotive technician has assured full-time work and a favorable income.
The Automotive Technology (AUT) program provides theory plus the technical skills needed to enter the automotive repair job market. Upon completion, the graduate can continue a course of study in the field or pursue a career such as Auto Specialist Line Technician, Service Manager, Shop Foreman, Service Consultant at the Apprentice/Entry Level Position, or as an owner of an independent repair facility. Upon completion of the hours of each course, the graduate is qualified to take the Automotive Service Excellence (ASE) certification test, a nationally recognized technician certification. UTTC automotive training facility is equipped with state-of-the-art equipment used in major dealerships and repair facilities.
Students entering the Automotive Technology program should have good math, reading and computer skills to successfully complete the required courses.
The Automotive Technology program, working in conjunction with the National Automotive Technicians Education Foundation, qualifies students to take the nationally Approved Automotive Service Excellence (ASE) certification exams.
Graduates of the UTTC Automotive Technology AAS degree and diploma programs will:
- Diagnose and repair or replace engines and components
- Diagnose and repair or replace electrical and electronic systems and components
- Diagnose and repair or replace driveability systems and components
- Diagnose and repair or replace steering and suspension systems and components
- Diagnose and repair or replace HVAC systems and components
- Diagnose and repair or replace brake systems and components
- Diagnose and repair or replace manual drivetrain and components
- Diagnose and repair or replace automatic transmission/transaxles
Automotive Technology Chair
Location: Skill Center