Frequently Asked Questions

Below are some frequently asked questions about Single Student Housing.

Q: In how many hours must I be enrolled to reside in on-campus housing?

A: You must be enrolled at a minimum of 12 credit hours (6 credit hours in the summer).

Q: What is the deadline to apply for housing in the resident halls?

A: There is no official deadline, but room assignments are made on a first-come, first-serve basis.

Q: Can I request a resident hall?

A: Yes, you can this will depend on vacancies.

Q: Is there a security deposit?

A: The deposit will apply to any housing repair costs upon moving out of resident hall if any.

Q: Can I get my money back if I change my mind about living on campus?

A: Yes, if there are no housing costs due to damages/ repairs costs.

Q: Do I have to live on campus?

A: No, however it is beneficial to live on campus which provides many opportunities for positive student development and learning.  First-year students, in particular, benefit from the supportive environment of the on-campus community.

Q: When can I move into housing?

A: All new students must complete all necessary documents with admissions prior to registering for resident hall room assignment. Returning and new students may begin moving in as designated see important dates. Resident Life staff are available after hours and weekends to assist on all move-ins. When checking in between 12:00am - 7:00 am, stop in at the Security office for assistance.

Q: Do I have to purchase a meal plan?

A: No, all residents' meal plan are part of your resident hall contract.  Students can visit the cafeteria website for more information.

Top of Page

Q: How much is rent? What is included?

A: Students contract for housing for the entire academic year.  This amount is payable in two installments, one at the beginning of fall and the other at the beginning of spring semester.   Housing during the summer term is extra.  Housing fees include a room, furnishings, and all utilities.

Q: Can I use my financial aid to pay rent?

A: Yes, financial aid will apply towards housing costs, but only after tuition and fees are covered.  Check with Financial Aid to see if you are receiving enough financial aid to pay for your fees.  Remember to meet the financial aid deadline to prevent complications at move-in.

Q: When is rent due?

A: All housing fees are due in full at the fee deadline prior to the start of each semester.

Q: Is there wireless internet?

A: Leadership Lodge (coed) is equipped with wireless internet and cable in each room throughout the building.  Sakakawea Hall & Sitting Bull Hall have wireless internet, cable is not provided in the rooms cable is provided in community commons area only.

Wireless routers are not allowed.

Q: Are computers provided?

A: Yes, computer rooms are provided in all residence halls in designated locations equipped with computers and printers.

Q: Do I have to live on campus both semesters?

A: No

Top of Page

Q: How do you select roommates? Can I choose my own roommates?

A: Roommates are assigned based on the responses to the roommate preference.  Students may request specific roommates, but the requests must be mutual, and requested.

Q: Is family housing available?

A: Yes, See family housing.

Q: Are the halls co-ed?

A: Yes, Itan’can Oyanke Leadership Lodge is coed each floor is single gender.

Q: Can I have overnight guests?

A: No

Q: Can I have car on campus?

A: Yes, you may have car on campus.  However, residents are required to report vehicle description to Resident Assistant staff.

Top of Page

Q: Can I have pets?

A: No, see dorm agreement

Q: How can I become a Student Resident Assistant (SRA)?

A: Visit the Student work program coordinator located in the Jack Barden Center.

Q: How do I change rooms?

A: Prior to moving in, students must contact the Resident Assistant staff in writing.  All room changes must be approved by the resident Assistant on duty.

Q: Can I move from Sakakawea Hall / Sitting Bull Hall to Coed?

A: Students may move from one hall to another, you must contact resident assistant in writing and granted permission from the Resident Assistant staff.

Q: What is the decoration policy?

A: The use of finishing nails, tacks, and putty that will not pull the paint off or discolor the walls may be used.  See the dorm agreement for more information.

Q: Where can I smoke?

A: Students may not smoke within the buildings.  Designated areas outside of the buildings have been provided.

Top of Page

Q: Is there a curfew?

A: There is no curfew for residents, although the visitation hours are from 5:00pm to 11:00pm. The main entrance doors are locked at designated times.  Also, remember that staying up too late may negatively affect student success.

Q: Do I have to move out between semesters?

A: Student must leave campus, but do not have to move-out between the fall and spring semesters although they are encouraged to take all valuables and perishables home.  All students must move-out between spring and summer and between summer and fall semesters. Subject to change.

Q: How are the resident halls staffed?

A: The halls are staffed by a resident hall director, full-time resident assistant professional staff and student resident assistant.

Q: Can I bring my own furniture?

A: Students may not bring their own furniture.  Each room is furnished with a bed, desk, chair, and wardrobe.

Top of Page

Q: Can I bring my own refrigerator?

A: No, a full size refrigerator is provided for each hall.  Exceptions for medical reason may be addressed by the resident hall director.

Q: What can I bring?

A: See what to bring.

Q: Are candles allowed?

A: All candles are strictly prohibited, with or without a wick.  Possession of candles carries a strict penalty as fire safety is a primary concern in buildings that house students in such close proximity.

Q: Who cleans the halls?

A: All halls and vacant rooms are cleaned by resident assistant staff in between semester.  During the year students are expected to maintain their rooms.  Room checks will be conducted every week to ensure proper health and safety standards are being met.  You may be subject to Disciplinary action for excessively dirty rooms.

Top of Page

Q: Will my belongings be insured?

A: UTTC does not insure personal property, nor is it liable for any damaged or stolen property.  All students residing on campus are encouraged to provide their own insurance through a renter’s policy or their parent’s home owner’s insurance.

Q: Will there be room inspections?

A: Yes, room inspections for health and safety will be conducted every week.  RAs will be looking for basic safety and cleanliness issues during these inspections, not spotless rooms, although spotless rooms are always appreciated by the Housing staff as well as your roommates.

Q: Is there a telephone in the halls?

A: Yes, telephones are located throughout the building in designated areas, telephones lines are not provided in each individual room although students may have a line activated at their own cost through a wireless company if approved. 

 Emergency phone boxes are located outside each resident hall building which is a direct line to campus security only.

Top of Page