Position: Security Officer
Opening date: April 12, 2021
Closing date: April 26, 2021
Department: Safety & Security
Reports Directly To: Safety & Security Director
Status: Non-exempt; Full-time
Summary Of Duties:
- Officer will complete vehicle and foot patrol duties on campus
- Patrols for unusual and suspicious activities, theft, fires, people’s safety, etc.
- Investigates and responds to any civil disturbances; potential illegal activities; suspicious circumstances, and reports to supervisor and local law enforcement.
- Officers are expected to present a clean, neat and professional appearance.
- Officer will complete a shift patrol log and incident reports by the end of each shift
- Answers incoming calls and directs them to appropriate individual or department afterhours and weekends.
- Attends security meetings and trainings.
- Conducts building checks to insure the building is secure and reports any safety hazards, fire hazards or security breaches.
- Locks and Unlocks designated buildings and gates as requested and as scheduled.
- Officer will issue parking citations for parking violations or any traffic violation per the UTTC Safety & Security Policy.
- Cooperates with and aids city, county, state and federal law enforcement agencies as directed.
- Escorts people/property to desired destination when safeties of property or persons are a concern.
- Responds to alarms and dispatched calls, decides what action(s) to take based on situation and facts known and position limitations.
- Assists any persons in building or on campus needing directions or campus information.
- Must be able to multi-task calls, radio- activity, persons, and incidents.
- Must be able to prioritize tasks and incidents for timely response.
- Shall keep confidentiality for all incidents involving students, staff and visitors.
- Must be able to take appropriate action in a timely manner based on incident.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Supervisory Responsibilities: None.
- Requires working evenings, holidays, and weekends on a rotating basis and are subject being called in for shift coverage.
- A minimum 30-minute paid meal period is provided in shifts exceeding five hours. When there is only one security officer on duty, the security officer is not completely relieved of their duties and may be required to perform their duties during the meal period.
- Must be able to sit and stand for long periods.
- Must be able to walk, run, bend over, stoop, reach, and lift up to 50 lbs. in the performance of duties.
- High School Diploma or equivalent (GED)
- Previous Security or Safety related experience recommended, but not required.
- Must have a valid ND Driver’s License and be insurable under UTTC’s insurance carrier. A copy needs to be submitted with application.
- Applicant will need to successfully pass a background check.
Knowledge & Skills:
- Ability to work under pressure
- Strong communication skills
- Knowledge of spelling, grammar and punctuation (Report Writing)
- Ability to use computer and learn new software
- UTTC Application
- ND Drivers License