Commercial Vehicle Operations
United Tribes Technical College’s Commercial Vehicle Operations (CVO) curriculum will provide you with a well-rounded education with competencies and skills to assist in obtaining a Commercial Driver’s License (CDL). Our training program starts with coursework in truck driving safety, driving techniques, and the ability to obtain a passenger bus, school bus, and double/triple trailer endorsement. Students will gain a working knowledge of a tractor and trailer through a combination of classroom, and behind the-wheel driver training. The behind-the-wheel time consists of hands-on training which focuses on skills developed for backing maneuvers, local street training, and CDL road test preparation and practice. Students will practice truck driving skills under the supervision of certified driving instructors.
Due to the stringent safety requirements and rigorous physical demands of operating specific tools, equipment, and machinery, students participating in the UTTC Commercial Vehicle Operations program must meet certain physical requirements. The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by any employee in specific industries to successfully perform the essential functions of the training and industry jobs. Reasonable accommodations may be requested by individuals with disabilities. The Disabilities Services Coordinator will determine, on a case-by-case basis, if the accommodation requested is reasonable.
- The student is regularly required to make precisely coordinated movements of the fingers of one or both hands to grasp, manipulate, or assemble large and very small objects or controls.
- The student is frequently required to stand; walk; reach with hands and arms; climb or balance; stoop, kneel, and crouch, or crawl.
- The student must regularly lift and/or move up to 50 pounds and occasionally lift and/ or move up to 100+ pounds with assistance.
CVO Admission Requirements
- Complete a UTTC application for admissions.
- Must be at least 18 years of age by the first day of classes.
- Copy of a current North Dakota Driver’s License
- Submit a copy of Birth Certificate
- Submit a current Department of Transportation (DOT) Medical Examiner’s Certificate and wallet card prior to mid-term.
- Complete DOT Drug Analysis Screen (paid for by the College). Students WILL BE required to pass a drug test before registering for classes.
- A second drug screen will be required at mid-term. Students who do not pass the drug test will be required to drop their courses and withdraw from the CVO program.
- Drug tests for CVO students are required by the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA), along with the Department of Transportation (DOT). (49 CFR Part 40 Subpart F).
Graduates of the UTTC Commercial Vehicle Operations Certificate program will:
- Safely operate a commercial vehicle utilized in the trucking industry.
- Apply essential problem-solving skills in the trucking industry.
- Read and analyze industry-type documents.