Select Page

Financial Aid

The goal of the Financial Aid Office is to provide UTTC students with prompt, accurate and courteous financial aid assistance.


Click here to jump to the FAFSA section for videos and links to help with FAFSA.


Click here for answers to common Financial Aid questions.

Student Employment

Click for Federal Work Study/Learning Through Experience information.


Visit our Scholarship page for scholarships and application tips.

Apply for Aid Every School Year

Complete FAFSA

All students are requried to complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) every school year. The school year includes the fall, spring, and summer semesters.

If you have a FAFSA submitted for the fall semester, you do not need to submit a new one for spring or summer.


1 – 2 weeks after you submit your FAFSA, you should receive an email from the Financial Aid Office.

You may be asked to provide additional documents. You can submit these items to our office directly.

You will receive a Financial Aid Offer when your FAFSA is complete. 

Price Calculator

Use our net price calculator to estimate your college costs while attending UTTC.

The costs you have for going to school are more than just the tuition and college bills. This calculator also includes estimates for living and personal expenses that you may have while you are attending college.

2021-2022 FAFSA open

Not sure which FAFSA you need? Click the FAFSAs below to find out which school year it applies to at UTTC.


2020-2021 FAFSA

Complete the 2020-2021 FAFSA for: FALL 2020, SPRING 2021, SUMMER 2021 semesters.

You will use 2018 tax information for this FAFSA.

2021 - 2022 FAFSA

Complete the 2021 – 2022 FAFSA for: FALL 2021, SPRING 2022, SUMMER 2022 semesters.

You will use 2019 tax information for this FAFSA.


We are here to make completing your FAFSA as easy as possible. If you don't find answers to your questions in the videos or blurbs below, let us know! We will get you on the right track.

Types of Aid

Need-Based Aid

Cost of Attendance (COA) – Estimated Family Contribution (EFC) = Financial Need

Need-based grants and scholarships require the FAFSA. Some may require tax filing for previous the previous year(s) to demonstrate financial need.

When the COA – EFC is greater than $0, a student has financial need. You may be required to report other awards you have received that reduce the COA.

Merit-Based Aid

Awarded on performance and acheivements, merit-based aid does not consider financial need.

High test scores, athletic talent, leadership potential, and other talents or characteristics are considered.

Types of Awards

Federal Aid

Need-based aid

UTTC students who demonstrate financial need after completing their FAFSA may receive two types of Federal Aid:

1. Grants – Pell and FSEOG. Awards do not have to be repaid.

2. Work-Study – UTTC students can work on campus to pay off their student bill. Money is earned and does not need to be repaid.

North Dakota State Aid

Need-Based and Merit-Based Awards

North Dakota State Grant (NDSG) is need-based. Complete the FAFSA as soon as possible each year to be considered for the NDSG.

North Dakota scholarships are available to graduating high school students and American Indian students. Students must apply for scholarships.

Check eligibility and view scholarships with the link to North Dakota University System (NDUS) below.

Private Aid

Need-Based and Merit-Based Aid

Scholarships and grants from private organizations may be needs-based or merit-based. Students must apply for these opportunities to receive awards.

Our Scholarships page has information on current scholarships. You can also find Tribal Higher Education Grant information at the link below.

Financial Aid FAQ

It is very common for students and parents to have questions about financial aid. Expand the questions below to find common answers to many of our most asked questions.

Applying for Financial Aid


What is the FAFSA?

To apply for federal student aid, such as federal grants and work-study, you need to complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).

Completing and submitting the FAFSA is free and easier than ever, and it gives you access to the largest source of financial aid to pay for college.

All UTTC students are required to submit a FAFSA each school year.

Do I have to apply for financial aid every year?

Yes! You must reapply for financial aid each year by completing the Renewal Application for Federal Student Aid (if you receive one from the federal processor) or by completing the next year’s Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA online).

Do I need to be admitted before I can apply for financial aid?

No. You can apply for financial aid any time after October 1st for the following school year. To receive awards, you must be admitted and enrolled at United Tribes Technical College. 

What is the Expected Family Contribution (EFC)?

The EFC is calculated from the information you entered on the FAFSA. 

The EFC is calculated according to a formula established by law. Your family’s taxed and untaxed income, assets, and benefits (such as unemployment or Social Security) all could be considered in the formula. Also considered are your family size and the number of family members who will attend college or career school during the year. The EFC Formula guide shows exactly how an EFC is calculated.

Your EFC is not the amount of money your family will have to pay for college, nor is it the amount of federal student aid you will receive. It is a number used to calculate how much financial aid you are eligible to receive.

What is the IRS Data Retrieval Tool?

The IRS Data Retrieval Tool allows students and parents to access the IRS tax return information needed to complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA), and transfer the data directly into their FAFSA from the IRS Web site.

To use the IRS DRT, you will enter your address for the tax year exactly as it appears on the tax return. Your filing status and name must also match the information that is on the tax return.

If you are selected for Verification and you have used the IRS DRT, you will not need to provide copies of your tax information to us. This is because the DRT transfers income and tax information directly from the IRS, so we will not have to verify income information. 

What happens after I complete the FAFSA?

Your application is processed by the Department of Education and then sent to United Tribes Technical College so that eligibility can be determined. 

When United Tribes receives your FAFSA, we will contact you via the email you provided on your FAFSA. You will either receive a Financial Aid Offer (that means your FAFSA is complete) or a Missing Items email. If you submitted an incomplete FAFSA, or were selected for Verification, you will recevie a Missing Items email with further instructions. 

Please watch this short video for an overview of the process.

What is a Financial Aid Offer letter?

You will receive a Financial Aid Offer letter from UTTC when your FAFSA has processed successfully. The letter indicates what types of funding and how much funding you are eligible to receive with your FAFSA. Generally, the first offer letter you receive will indicate your Pell Grant eligibility and Work-Study (if applicable). Scholarships and other grants you receive will be shown on the Offer Letter.

You can request an updated Offer Letter (aka Award Letter) at any time throughout the semester by visiting the Financial Aid Office.

What is Verification?

Verification is a way to double check your FAFSA information to make sure everything is accurate. You will need to submit additional documentation to the Financial Aid Office to complete verification. 

UTTC does not determine who is selected for verificaiton. The Department of Education randomly selects about 30% of all FAFSA submissions for verification. You may also be selected if your information changed, or if they believe there is an error in the reported data. The Financial Aid Office is then responsible for collecting the additional information before any financial aid awards can be processed.  

Do I need to submit copies of my family's federal tax returns to the financial aid office?

We will request copies of all required documents through the email you provided on your FAFSA submission, after your FAFSA is initially reviewed. Do not submit any documents to our office unless we have specifically requested you do so.

Which parent fills out the FAFSA is my parents are divorced or separated?

The parent you lived with more during the past 12 months. If you did not live with either parent or if you lived with each parent an equal amount of time, provide information for the parent who provided the most financial support to you during the last 12 months or during the most recent calendar year that you actually received support from a parent.

If this parent is remarried as of the date you are filing the FAFSA, provide information on the FAFSA about that parent and the person whom that parent married (your stepparent).

FSA Login


Your content goes here. Edit or remove this text inline or in the module Content settings. You can also style every aspect of this content in the module Design settings and even apply custom CSS to this text in the module Advanced settings.

I forgot my login, can I create a new account?

No. Your FSA account is linked to your social security number. If you have ever signed in before, you will need to log in to the account that you have already created.

How do I reset my login?

Your usename will be displayed on the screen after you verify your identity. 

You can be sent a secure password reset link by verifying your identity. 

Verify your identity by sending a secure code to your email or phone, if you have verified your email/phone number in the past. You can also answer your security questions to verify your identity.

*NOTE* If you retrieve your username AND reset your password, you will need to wait 30 minutes before logging in to your account. 

What if I can't remember my questions, and I don't have a verified phone or email?

You will need to call the Student Aid help line. After you are connected, you will select “FSA Login Help” as a menu option. This will connect you with a real person who can help verify your identity and work to get into your account. 

Call 1-800-4-FED-AID (1-800-433-3243) to speak to someone on the Federal Student Aid help line. 

Dependency Status (Dependent vs. Independent)


Your content goes here. Edit or remove this text inline or in the module Content settings. You can also style every aspect of this content in the module Design settings and even apply custom CSS to this text in the module Advanced settings.

How do I know if I am independent or dependent?

When you fill out the FAFSA, you will be asked a series of questions to help determine your dependency status. If you answer ‘yes’ to any of the dependency questions, you will be asked to provide documentation to the Financial Aid Office.

Watch this short video for more information.

My parents do not claim me on their taxes, and do not help me with school. Can I change my status to "independent"?

Dependency for financial aid purposes is defined to include all students who are undergraduates and who are under the age of 24, not married, not supporting dependents of their own, not veterans, not orphans or wards of the court, not an emancipated minor or in legal guardianship, not homeless and not in foster care since turning 13 years old.

Even if your parents choose not to help you with school, their income and assets are used to determine how much they could pay, and financial aid eligibility is based upon this information. Exceptions to this policy do exist. Consult with a financial aid advisor for help in documenting your situation.

What if my family circumstances change after I apply?

If your situation changes after completing the FAFSA because of unusual circumstances, contact the Finanial Aid Office. 

Maintaining Eligibility


Your content goes here. Edit or remove this text inline or in the module Content settings. You can also style every aspect of this content in the module Design settings and even apply custom CSS to this text in the module Advanced settings.

What will happen to my financial aid award if I drop a course or withdraw from college?

If your tuition is adjusted because you drop a course, it may be necessary to reduce your financial aid. If you totally withdraw from the college during the first 60 percent of the term, your financial aid eligibility must be recalculated.

Dropping courses and withdrawing are academic actions which might have serious financial implications and may affect your future aid eligibility because of failure to maintain satisfactory academic progress. It is your responsibility to understand the effects these actions will have on your financial aid award.

What is Satisfactory Academic Progress?

Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) standards ensure that you are successfully completing your coursework to receive financial aid. SAP standards include maintaining a 2.00 GPA and completing 67% of your enrolled credits, both for each term and for your cumulative college career at UTTC. 

You can find more information on SAP on our webpage. 

What happens if I don't meet Satisfactory Academic Progress?

If you fail to meet the Satisfactory Academic Progress requirements you may be denied additional financial aid assistance.

If you are denied additional financial aid assistance you may regain your financial aid eligibility by submitting a written appeal with documentation explaining why you failed to meet the Satisfactory Academic Progress requirements.

You also have the option of successfully completing six (6) semester hours without financial aid assistance to regain your financial aid eligibility.

Disbursements and Refunds


Your content goes here. Edit or remove this text inline or in the module Content settings. You can also style every aspect of this content in the module Design settings and even apply custom CSS to this text in the module Advanced settings.

How is my financial aid calculated?

Your eligibility depends on your Expected Family Contribution (EFC), your year in school, school enrollment status, and the school’s Cost of Attendance (COA).

There is a formula for calculating Financial Need. The formula looks like this:

Financial Need = COA – EFC

What is the difference between a Financial Aid disbursement and a refund?

Disbursement is the process of transferring the anticipated aid for each semester to a student’s account. This process occurs in the Financial Aid Office. The Student Accounts Office uses those funds to pay outstanding tuition, fees, and book advance charges.

A refund is the credit balance that is generated after all allowable institutional charges are deducted from your disbursement. The Student Accounts Office releases those funds to students in the form of a refund check.

How do I receive a refund from my financial aid funds?

If you have a balance remaining after your college charges have been paid, a check will be issued from the Student Accounts Office. You can pick up refund checks from Student Accounts. 

How do I check my Student Account balance?

You can view your account balance under Student Information – Student Accounts on If you have a negative balance, you will have a refund check issued to you. 

What is the Pell Lifetime Limit?

Your Pell lifetime eligibility maximum is 600% over the course of your lifetime. That’s equal to a 100% Pell Grant each year for six years. So, your Pell lifetime eligibility is limited by how long you’re enrolled, not how much you receive.

That means if you drop out and return later, you still may be eligible to receive Pell funding. You will not be eligible to receive Pell funding if you have exceeded the 6 year (or 12 semester) limit. 

You can check your Pell Lifetime Eligibility Used on the National Student Loan Database System. If you see a 200% LEU, that means you received Pell for 2 years (or 4 semesters).


Send Us a Message Anytime!


Contact or Visit Us

Email Address


Jack Barden Center – 2nd Level

3315 University Dr

Bismarck ND 58504

Phone Number

Financial Aid: (701) 221.1850

Follow UTTC on social media for campus updates and more!